Friday, December 12, 2008

A Chopstick Christmas

What a wonderful night spent with my boys. Sushi Hana is our favorite date night with Jackson place because unlike everywhere else he'll actually eat the food they serve. He loves their Miso soup with tofu, rice, and delicious almond cookies. Tonight he insisted on using his chopsticks. He held them both in his right hand, with his left balanced a bite of rice on them, and scooped them into his mouth.

Because Jackson had been singing Jingle Bells all day I asked him to sing it for Bryan, but he must have thought I said to shout them at Daddy, because that is just what he did in the middle of the restaurant. "JINGLE BELLS, JINGLE BELLS, JINGLE AH DUH WAY! HEY!" Good thing they didn't hire out live entertainment, because we provided that and much more!

We went Christmas light looking tonight after dinner. One house really cracked me up. There was a huge Santa wooden cut out with reindeer pulling the sleigh and very boldly written on the sleigh was "Jesus is the Reason for the Season!" The Big Guy really does take the back seat to Santa all season, but I think it's wonderful that we celebrate his birthday with such gusto even if 90% of it is just made up.

As I've said, Jackson is crazy about the idea of Santa, but as we talk to him about the real Christmas story in conjunction with all of the Santa fun he's become a big fan of Baby Jesus too. I bought him the Little People's Christmas manger set and we read the Christmas story acting out the characters. Every baby he sees is named, most emphatically, "Jesus!" I asked him the other day, if he wanted to have a baby brother or sister some day. Of course the answer was yes, not truly knowing that sharing would be involved and then I asked him what he would want to name him or her. Without even thinking he said, "Jesus!" Jesus, I don't know if your name goes with Reece all that well, but we'll put it on the list as Jackson's vote.

No comments: