Friday, October 16, 2009

Peaceful Easy Feeling

Colin Michael Reece, 23 1/2 weeks When we found out that we were having another boy, I thought it would be a very hard task picking out his name because we had already used our favorite boy name for Jackson and it seemed weird to pick from our list of seconds. So we started a new list for our sweet baby and was surprised to find that it was very short. After several weeks we had our list down to about 4 names. I was beginning to feel very strongly that our baby's name would be Colin, but we weren't ready to toss the list aside just yet. Over the next several months though it became clear that this was the only name for him.

I have always loved this sweet name which was first introduced to me through a precious red headed little baby boy I babysat when I was just 15. I remember anxiously waiting for his first sounds of waking from his nap to run in, scoop him up, and hold him while he was still sleepy. He was such a peaceful little guy.

It was important to us for the meaning of his name or behind choosing his name to be suiting of what we had gone through this year. Of course name meanings vary slightly from book to book, website to website, but the two that showed up predominately for Colin were victorious and peaceful. How perfect! As I was reflecting on a sermon about interpreting dreams from God one Sunday which led to a reflection on our journey that led me to carrying this child I began thinking more about the meaning of the name Colin and how perfectly it matched with what we had gone through. As we struggled through our grief of losing two babies we found a peace through each other, through God, that brought hope and joy to every day, that smothered the worry and doubts, that created in us an inner strength we had no idea existed. We were victorious, even before we created this new little life again through God, because we had turned to Him and decided that through Him we would live a life of joy and peace and hope no matter what situations we faced. And then came Colin. The peace that he has brought to us with each stage of healthy development has been such an incredible blessing to our lives. He has already changed us in so many ways much before his arrival.

When we got home I shared with Bryan how suiting this name was for our baby, and throughout the next weeks, without any persuasion or not too much I should say, he shared that he was beginning to think of him as Colin as well. Every night, Bryan ends our prayers, echoed by Jackson, "And please keep Baby Brother safe in Mommy's tummy, Amen." This night he replaced "brother" with "Baby Colin."
Now the middle name, well that was set since the moment we found out I was carrying a boy. He is named after Bryan's dad, Michael, who I call Mike and Jackson calls Doc. Despite the nerve wrecking stories that his Mom, Grandmom Reece, tells about him as a little boy, including finding him at age 3 on top of the roof, we love that he will be named after a man that we love and admire. When Colin is old enough to understand that he shares a name with his Doc, I can only imagine how honored he will feel.
About a week ago, one of my all time favorite songs, Peaceful Easy Feeling, came on the radio. I wouldn't generally classify this song as a tearjerker, but that day as I thought about the peaceful easy feeling that God continues to give me through his gift of Colin tears of joy poured from my eyes. I feel so honored to carry God's sweet gift and can't wait to meet him!

On that note...My perinatologist appointment Wednesday went well and as you can see by the above pictures I have quite a little beauty growing healthily inside. My cervix did show some shortening most likely due to some pretty strong contractions I've been having the last couple of days, so the Dr. has made a few suggestions including a slight decrease in my activity level (i love the slight part of that), absolutely no picking up of Jackson, a decrease in stairs climbing, as well as a possible increase in my contraction medicine based on how I'm feeling. She suggested strongly that I either bump up his preschool to 3 days a week or have another form of care for him an extra day of the week, so my mom and mother in law will be alternating keeping him one day a week for me. I will of course follow the Dr.s directions to a t no matter how restrictive they might become, but will be praying that no more modifications will need to be made and that my body will stay Colin's healthy home until he is good and ready to make his appearance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will have to contact the MacKenzie family and tell them about the name. That's one of my favorite songs also, and the only one I can play on the guitar...well, kind of. So glad to hear you are doing well...take care of yourself and don't overdo it. Thinking of you always and your family. Love you, Emily, Hank and Hunter

Katie said...

He is BEAUTIFUL and already resembles his sweet big brother. I am sooooooo happy to hear that things are going well for you and you are healthy, active (within limits) and Colin is growing rapidly. We will continue to keep your 4some in our prayers. Love ya!

Cole said...

Yea good news! And remember I'm always here waiting to play with Jackson and his cars!