My friend Audrey has been hosting a get together night at her house called "Sew Exciting" and I finally got to go last night. Some nights are bring your own stuff to sew on while visiting and sharing ideas, but last night she decided to do a demo of how to make bandanna dresses. I'm so excited with how mine turned out and it was so simple. To clarify this, no the bandanna dress is not for me (ok, I admit I almost tried to see if it would work as a maternity shirt) and no I have not had the anatomy ultrasound done yet, so this dress may find it's way to a closet in my house or into the gift bag for a sweet Jackson friend. I loved learning a new easy craft that makes a very cute, inexpensive gift.
Basically, you buy two matching bandannas, thread to match and 2 yds. of 1 inch coordinating ribbon. Audrey finds holiday bandannas and makes these for her daughter Ella who looks so stinkin' cute in them.
Directions I am remembering from Audrey's lesson:
1. place ironed bandanna wrong side up
2. fold over about an inch and a half from the top and iron flat and repeat with other bandanna
3. straight stitch sew along the bottom of that fold leaving enough room for the ribbon to thread to
4. line up bandannas, right sides together, and pin together starting from the bottom along the right and left edge, stop 6 inches from the top and mark with chalk or another pin
1. place ironed bandanna wrong side up
2. fold over about an inch and a half from the top and iron flat and repeat with other bandanna
3. straight stitch sew along the bottom of that fold leaving enough room for the ribbon to thread to
4. line up bandannas, right sides together, and pin together starting from the bottom along the right and left edge, stop 6 inches from the top and mark with chalk or another pin
5. straight stitch sew about an inch or so from the side, depending on desired width and stop at the 6 inch from the top mark. From that mark lift your pressure foot and sew a very short 45 degree angle to the right or left edge (this leaves room for arm holes)
6. thread ribbon through the top fold overs you made, gather the bandanna up, and tie at the shoulders
7. oh, don't forget to put a no fray solution at the ends of the ribbon
I think Audrey's directions were a little more concise. I'm a little wordy for giving step by steps, but hopefully you got the gist. It probably would take about 15 min. from start to finish, the result is so cute, and it only cost about 3 dollars. Thanks for a fun night with the girls Audrey!
2 comments:
You're too sweet, Jennifer. I loved that you typed up the directions! And I don't think they were too wordy - all the details make it easier to follow! So glad you had such a good time (I know I did too)...hopefully your little one will get to enjoy your cute creation!!! :-)
Bentley would love one the those. I am not crafty at sewing though, but my sister in law is. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment