Friday, May 29, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

Memorial Day weekend started our Summer off just right! We spent Friday through Tuesday at my parents house, who own land about 5 minutes from Lake Conroe. They moved out there about 10 years ago. I loved where we lived in our neighborhood growing up, but man if I knew how cool it would have been to live out in the country I would have begged them to move sooner, because it is AWESOME! I try to get out there a lot because for one it's only an hour away and secondly Jackson just loves it there.

The first night we were there I will remember as one of my favorite times at my parent's house . My sister and her family got there in the late afternoon and from the get go Jackson and his cousins were full throttle playing beautifully together in the backyard. We enjoyed dinner on their side patio under the canopy of trees while the boys continued to play. They grazed, we visited, relaxed, caught up and then ended the night running around catching fireflies. As the boys stood in awe watching the flickering of these beautiful creatures time just stopped. How magical...the boys standing still!

We hadn't seen my sister and her family since spring break time, which was not that relaxing of a time for me, so this time I was able to enjoy every minute. I have to say my favorite moments when we're all together is to watch Jackson and my nephews play together. They are still quite the blur, but only because they are always so excited to play together. The moment they left on Monday afternoon Jackson said, "I miss Sean Thomas and Joshy so much!"
Because we were there for four nights we had enough time to have a great mix of activities and many moments to just relax. Several boat outings on the lake, fishing at the pond, backyard splash time, picking veggies in the garden, and my most favorite horseback riding. I just love wandering around on their property soaking in the beauty. Jackson rode around with me for quite some time and then was determined he was going to ride Sugar "all myself." He just loves Poppy's animals.
I became very envious of my dad's beautiful garden while we were there. He retired last year and has been taking classes to become a Master Gardner. He has always had beautiful gardens, but this year's is the best. I am definitely enlisting his expertise to put in a fall garden in my side yard. I brought home green beans and potatoes this trip, but am really hoping for a big bushel of cherry tomatoes next time. There is nothing better than home grown veggies.I loved loved loved spending time with my family this weekend!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Wow! What a great Memorial Day weekend! It sounds magical and the photos you got are amazing. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, how much fun! I have so much to tell you...will call you later, tator. much love!