Saturday, February 21, 2009

Dr. Marshmallow

Dr. Morello, my eye dr., is very much liked by Jackson, most likely due to the fact that he thinks his name is Dr. Marshmallow and also that he gets lollipops, and sometimes multiple lollipops when I'm having my eye examined.

We have been there a total of hmmm...let me look at my credit card statement... 6 times in the last 5 weeks. Most of those were progress assessments, but a couple of weeks ago I had some of the cells lift up yet again. Not as serious that time, but painful and annoying nonetheless which required extended contact wear and dilation. Finally, Thursday my contact was removed, and we have started the Muro 128 ( 5% sodium chloride) ointment and drop therapy to help heal my current erosion and prevent it from sloughing off again. I did this 2 years ago too and then gradually weaned myself off of it once it looked completely healed, but I still had the recurrence so I don't have the reassurance that even through this it won't happen again, but at least I'm improving my odds.

I asked the Dr.s if there was anything else I could take to help prevent this, and one mentioned the use of Restasis, used for chronic dry eyes. One said that he has used this in patients like me and it's been very successful. Yes! I was so excited that there was something else to increase my odds to this not happening again. Since we are trying to get pregnant I had to ask if it was a safe drug to take right now, and what do you think his answer was? Yep, you're right! You can't take it when you're trying to conceive, pregnant, or nursing, so at least I know there is a drug I can take post baby phase, which will I guess be about 5 years from now! That just makes me laugh! Until then, I think I'll wear a pirate's patch. Arghhhh! Ha ha!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I am so sorry you are dealing with this yet AGAIN! Man....but at least you can take meds in a few years and feel better. hang in there. HUGS!