Monday, December 20, 2010

11 months old...the countdown is on!

I can't believe that Colin is almost one!  More than that, I can't believe the things he is doing already.

His walking is just incredible and though he has been upright for quite sometime I still look down as I hear him enter the room.  His side, side, side, waddle walk is pretty much one foot in front of the other now and when he gets something he knows he's not supposed to have and I ask for it back, he makes a bolt for it.  I think by one he will be running circles around me.
In the last week and I should say especially in the last two days his communication with new words, sounds and gestures has really developed.  He now can say mama, dada, yes, up, yum yum, and my all time favorite "Wow!" over and over again when he sees something that intrigues him.  He loves to give high fives, reaches out for things and people he wants, nods his head up and down when I ask him if he wants more, and has started mini, very mini tantrums by putting his head on the ground and crying when I have to take something away from him.  I have done basic baby sign language with him, but he at least at this point doesn't seem to be as receptive to it as Jackson was.  I just love seeing these new connections as he begins to really communicate with us.  So cool!

Colin is crazy about balls, especially a little globe beach ball we got at the Cargill Christmas this year.  His other favorite is the yellow spikey ball he can get a good grip on. Jackson, Colin and I play ball every morning rolling it back and forth and cheering him on when he pushes it to Jackson, but recently while we've been here at Honey's house he goes from person to person bringing his ball to them and expecting a hug once he goes the distance.  Balls are really the only toys I've seen him really enjoy playing with and for an extended time, that is in the category of baby toys.  His other favorite activities are dumping the crayons out of the crayon case, pulling stickers off of Jackson's art work, chewing on the end of paintbrushes, racing to the stairs when the gate is left open and likewise the potty, finding the smallest of big brother's toys and making himself look like a chipmunk with them....can you see where I'm going with this?  The baby toys in our house, minus the balls, are feeling very left out from our curious Colin.

Just recently he will let me finally read him a board book all the way through.  I remember Jackson listening to book after book at this age, but there were much less distractions during that phase of his life compared to our very boisterous house now.  Colin's favorite right now is Brown Bear, Brown Bear.

And food, well he has a wonderful shoveling style, using both hands to very efficiently scoop in every morsel on his plate.  Colin has only come across a few things that he is not fond of, but really only when something is too sour or too spicy.  He still takes 4 bottles a day and has shown no sign of getting ready to give that up which I am very happy with, because I just love this special quiet time throughout the day.

Sleeping wise, he is taking two naps, one two hour morning nap, and one hour and half afternoon nap still.  Even with these naps it is hard to keep him happily up until his 7-7:30 bedtime.  On the rare occasion he needs a little paci pop during the night, but for the most part sleeps right through to 7 which works perfectly with our morning schedule. Jackson wakes up at 6:30, we start breakfast with Bryan, and then Colin wakes up just in time to get a bottle from me before Daddy leaves.

I really could go on and on about my spectacular little eleven month old.  He constantly makes us smile and amazes us with how fast he is growing and learning every day.  We just love him to pieces!

No comments: