The firemen gave such a wonderful tour. We first watched an ambulance rush off to an emergency which really set the stage. As we headed inside to see their living quarters and offices Jackson's cautiousness kicked in, but he enjoyed looking around from the comfort of my arms mostly.
Instead of having a pole to get down quickly to the bottom they had a big curly red slide. Most of the kiddos went without hesitation, then a couple went hesitantly but had a great time, and Jackson decided that this was not for him. When I asked him why he said very firmly, "I don't want to be a fireman!" As much as I am in awe of the guys/gals that have chosen this career and put themselves at risk on a daily basis to help others, I would love Jackson to choose a little more safe career path.
After returning downstairs, we were shown the firetrucks and all of the tools, followed by a truck walk through. I was so proud of Jackson for going on through even though he was a bit "nerbous" he said. He caught sight of one of the firemen all geared up in his suit and mask which more than likely was the cause. I would have liked for the fireman to have gotten dressed step by step in front of the kids so they could have seen that he was just a regular man before he got all suited up. To ease Jackson's nervousness I reminded him that firemen are superheroes too and like most they wear masks too. After a second to process that, he got excited and went up to give him a high five.
Jackson told me later that his favorite part was seeing the miniature firetrucks in the office lobby and the fireman's superhero mask. What a fun outing!
No comments:
Post a Comment