Starting my small business on Etsy was amazing. It took off at full speed and did not let up until I turned on it's "vacation mode" in mid December. I previously thought I was going to reopen on January 15th in some form, but I'm currently evaluating to what extent that will be. I joke and say that That is Sew You is "That is Sew OVER," but I know I will keep it going in some form like filling the occasional local order. I absolutely loved how successful my shop was becoming, loved having something of my own that I enjoyed doing, loved getting awesome feedback from my buyers, contributing financially to our family... Really I could go on with the positives because there were so many, but there were also a lot of changes around here that created a very tiring environment for both Bryan and I. Every nap time and most nights into the late hours were spent filling orders for me, there were many late nights of Bryan, very supportingly, helping me catch up on house work after covering most of the boys bedtime duties, most Saturdays spent apart while I stitched away in the sewing room, many weekly activities we enjoy had to be skipped, and just a general rush mode that got placed on all things. Basically both of us added a part time job to already very full time jobs. I'm grateful for the experience and the knowledge I gained and am excited that this has shown me a glimpse of a successful small business I can start up once my children are all in school, but at this point in my motherhood with two very busy young children, and one on the way, it just simply is not something we're going to choose in this capacity anymore.
Yes, I will look back on this Fall and Winter and remember how nuts it was, but I will also remember how amazingly Bryan and I pulled together to make it work. We really are a great team and with God's help we not only made it through an incredibly busy time, but also really grew from this experience together. We constantly seeked God's guidance and throughout the rush, took time to listen to how He wanted us to act and move forward as a family.
I remember sitting in church one Sunday and hearing this scripture during a sermon series on using scripture alone to make big decisions. "Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting, with strife" – Proverbs 17:1 No, I would not describe our family or finances as a dry crust and no, there was not deep strife between us, but it did hit home in many ways about the direction or non direction I wanted my business to take. It would be a feastful financially speaking decision to go about the pace we were going, but we were beginning to see the first stages of the strife we would face if we tried to keep it up. What we were sacrificing just wasn't worth it. I think it's so easy to miss that clarity especially when you're in the haze of the rush life most of us lead or think we need to be leading, so I'm thankful that I slowed down enough to hear God speaking to me through this verse about the decision of how to proceed with this business.
That decision is going to leave more availability to allow our marriage, our parenthood, our family life, my goal to be a Proverbs 31 wife and mother, and our friendships to grow in accordance to what we hold dear and know is right. To “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind; and, Love your neighbor as yourself.” Luke 10:27
Big decisions are easier when I slow down and listen to God. Go and download this song. Very powerful!
"Word Of God Speak"
by MercyMe
I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay
The last thing I need is to be heard
But to hear what You would say
Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see
Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness
Word of God speak
I'm finding myself in the midst of You
Beyond the music, beyond the noise
All that I need is to be with You
And in the quiet hear Your voice
I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay
And the funny thing is it's okay
The last thing I need is to be heard
But to hear what You would say
Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see
Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness
Word of God speak
I'm finding myself in the midst of You
Beyond the music, beyond the noise
All that I need is to be with You
And in the quiet hear Your voice
I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay
1 comment:
First off, congratulations on the baby! That is very exciting! You won't regret your decision to focus on motherhood. I'm proud of you. You're such a wonderful mommy!
Post a Comment