Friday, September 10, 2010

Back to School!

Summer flew by with lightning speed! How in the world am I already posting pics of Jackson's first day back to school. Unbelievable.
......
Jackson was equally excited and a bit nervous about the first day of school. To be honest I was too. Excited for him thinking about all the fun activities he will get to do this year in his four year old class, and excited about the just Colin time I will have, but also, maybe due to the fact that I'm not great with change, equally a bit nervous. I absolutely loved his teachers last year and the experience he had with them. A perfect match! I wish they traveled with their classes year to year. Wouldn't that be cool!
......
Oh, please don't get me wrong, I have gotten such a wonderful impression from his now four year old teachers and think they will give him an equally wonderful preschool experience. I can't wait to get to know them better. Like me, they both were Kindergarten teachers before they had their kiddos which is very cool and they just exude happiness so how could I not be pleased already.
......
This is the first year Jackson is in a class that is not divided between older and younger kids of the same age. Meaning, that some or most of the kids in his class will be headed off to kindergarten next year, so this is a big preparation year for them. We've already decided to wait until the following year to send Jackson to Kindergarten, which only makes sense with his birthday being only 4 days before the cut off, so he will get this preparation year and next year in the Transition class to be more than ready. A gift for him and a gift for me to have him home a little longer.
......
Jackson has so much more to say about his school days this year, remembering lots of little details about the day which is great because it's been harder to connect with the teachers at the end of the day to see how everything is going, but Jackson seems very thrilled with school and like my friend Mindy said, "No news is good news" in regard to behavior. Naturally with each year of preschool the teachers encourage more independent responsibilities in the children and with each year I feel like the teachers try to get the parents gradually adjusted to what Kindergarten and big school will be like for us. The first year I was given a checklist at the end of the day telling me of Jackson's mood ( happy, sad, chatty, quiet, etc.), participation level, how many dirty/wet diapers he had, if he ate snack, how much lunch he ate, how long of a nap he took, and what they did that day. With every year there has been a paired down version of this, with last year having a list outside the door of things they did and getting a brief synopsis of Jackson's behavior from the teachers verbally. This year I have felt more so that wow, Kindergarten is just around the corner. There is still a brief list outside the door of daily happenings but with the fact that they have more children and the kiddos are no longer napping when I pick them up they just don't have the time to tell me personally how exactly Jackson's day went down. Jackson is so stinkin' honest about his behaviour and like I said is telling me so many details about friends and what they did that day that I feel very content and love that the retelling of the day is coming from him.
......
I can't wait to see how much he grows and learns this year!

No comments: