Sunday, May 2, 2010

Let's Go Astros!

I never knew how much I would love being a boys mama! I think it fits me perfectly. Yes, I'm a girly girl, but oh how I love bugs (that is bugs that do not sting or bite) and camping and dirt and now t ball. A tball cheerleader, that's me. I just love shouting, "Way to go Jackson!" as loud as I want to and having it be those words, encouraging words, that start off our weekend on Saturday mornings. A little to early for my taste, but none the less it definitely gets our weekend going in such a positive fun way.

3.5, some might say is too early to start sports, and as a general rule I would agree, but our decision to enroll him this season was because of his love for baseball that he has had for more than a year. He kept asking us when watching the Astros with Bryan, reading our baseball books, or playing baseball outside when he was going to get to be on his own team. We decided why not give it a try and boy was he excited. When we went to the Y to sign up he was not satisfied with our computer sign up as the lady imputed our information and would not leave until we let him literally "sign up" so they gave us a random piece of paper and let him sign his name on it.

Jackson's team is called the Astros, which has been really fun because he just loves the Astros. His coaches are incredible! They are so patient, genuinely interested in the kiddos ( 9 boys and 2 girls), and in a developmentally appropriate way have helped them with their skills, in regards to both team work and t ball basics.

After the first practice, where I would call Jackson the class clown of the field, we realized that he needed a little direction, behavior wise to guide his t ball time. This is where it gets tricky I think. Sports are supposed to be for fun and when they become unfun what's the point, so we brainstormed only three rules for him, or four I should say and they have worked quite well. 1. Stay on the field. 2. Keep your glove on your hand. 3. Listen to your coaches. and 4. HAVE FUN! We talked with Jackson that in order to be able to have lots of fun out there that these 3 things had to happen and for the most part, or I should say at least half the practice and half the game he manages to follow them including the most important number 4.

With each practice and each game he gets a little better. Of course he thinks he is an incredible t ball player and that is what is most important. I love how confident he is. Every hit is a power hit in his eyes and every time he gets a chance to throw the ball because it came closest to him he has won the game he thinks. Like me though, he is still working on stepping with the left foot and throwing with the right but hopefully he'll achieve that well before me. That kid's got some fast feet on him for sure and has the most fun I'd say running the bases and most of the time does it in order. And a close second to running the bases he would probably tell you is that he loves how the field we play on has great mud in the middle. Throughout the game he works his way several times an inning over there to give it a good stomping. Tball and mud all in one...a boy's heaven!

I am so glad that we let him play this Spring because it has really been fun! The only thing I don't like about it is that it brings a realization with it that he is really growing up. Seriously before I know it, I'll be taking him to kindergarten.

concentrating on the game
not concentrating on the game with his buddy Hunterwaiting for his turn at battwo of his buddies are on the team too...Jackson is trying to persuade them to goof off too
Jackson with his biggest fans
Flash at practicelook at that swing

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is probably the most precious thing I've ever seen. Those teeny tiny baseball pants! And his huge grin. Although, Colin doesn't seem that impressed with having to cheer that early in the morning. :)