Friday, February 17, 2012

Baby Winner

I have a very competitive 5 1/2 year old on my hands which has in turn caused Colin to be quite competitive as well.  Looking back a lot of it probably stemmed from Bryan and I encouraging Jackson to do things with greater speed and focus when he was little by saying, "let's race to see who can get upstairs first" or "I bet I can beat you at putting my shoes on" etc.  We didn't use this all the time, but it seemed to really work, Jackson could always use an excuse to get some extra energy out by moving fast, and it was fun. Now I think naturally he would have been a pretty competitive little guy anyways, but this only enhanced this trait and hindsight had I known that this would carry over into brotherhood I never would have started it.

Of course anytime Jackson initiates a competition, like who's going to be the first one upstairs to brush teeth, the first one to get shoes on or the first one to buckle up, he is the winner.  This has gotten annoying to Colin evidently.  He wants to be the winner sometimes too for goodness sakes. 

The other day when they were having a race to see who would get in their carseat first, after Colin got situated last he looked at Jackson and told him "I baby winner!"  Big brother's response was, "there are no baby winners," to which Colin replied yelling at the top of his lungs "I BABY WINNER, JACKIE!"  It was so funny to see him be so assertive.  We just laughed and laughed and big brother agreed that he definitely was the baby winner.  Every once in a while Jackson will say jokingly that Colin is not the baby winner just to get him to repeat his very strong opinion about this.  It's kind of become a thing of theirs and it's really hilarious. 

Just one of the many moments with my boys I never want to forget.

No comments: